General Motors recognises the importance of protecting an individual's privacy. We appreciate that individuals are concerned about the security of their personal information and we are committed to protecting any personal information we hold and to meeting our obligations.
Additionally, our mobile applications or website may have separate privacy statements, so please take the time to review those statements if you are using those services.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND HOW DO WE COLLECT THE INFORMATION?
As you interact with GM, our dealers and authorised service outlets, there may be instances where you provide us with your personal information. Additionally, we may collect certain personal information about you as further described below.
You may provide us with personal information about you through a number of sources: our websites, dealership visits, retail and service location visits, product and related events, product activations, test drive or other incentive applications, surveys, social media platforms, through our customer call centres or when you contact us.
We receive information about you through vehicle/parts sales and service records provided by your dealer or certified service partner. We also may obtain information about you and your vehicle from GM affiliates, GM dealers and authorised service outlets, GM licensees for consumer merchandise, GM credit card bank partners and other sources such as companies that provide lists of potential vehicle purchasers and current owners, if such companies are permitted to share your information with us pursuant to their respective privacy statements or policies.
The types of information that GM collects about you, your vehicle, or your connected devices (such as your mobile phone, computer, or tablet) may include, but are not limited to:
- identifiers (such as name, postal address, email address, screen name, account ID, customer number, and telephone number
- payment information (such as your credit card number, CVV code and expiration date)
- information about your vehicle (such as license plate number, vehicle identification number (VIN), geolocation data, make, model, model year, selling dealer, servicing dealer, date of purchase or lease, the lease/financing term, service history, mileage, oil/battery status, fuel history, battery charging and discharging history, electrical system function, gear status, and diagnostic trouble codes)
- information about your connected devices and how you interact with our products, services, apps and websites (such as IP address, browser type, unique device identifier, cookie data, and associated identifying and usage information)
- demographic or protected classification information (such as gender, date of birth, marital status, household composition, or veteran or military status)
- commercial information (such as when you plan to purchase or lease the vehicle in which you're interested)
- audio or video information (such as information collected by sensors or cameras in the vehicle, or photographs and videos such as those that you may submit for contests, sweepstakes, and social sharing)
- relationships you have with GM in addition to the purchase and servicing of your vehicle
- relationships you have with third parties in connection with your use of GM products and services (such as GM dealers, energy utilities, and companies offering or operating in-vehicle applications)
- investor and stockholder services information (such as name, address, phone number, email address, and account information)
If we receive information about you from a third party, wherever practical we will make sure they undertake to comply with any applicable privacy laws.
We will not collect your sensitive personal information except as set out in this section. Sensitive personal information is personal information concerning religious beliefs or affiliation, racial, ethnic origin, political opinions or other beliefs, membership of a political association, membership of a professional or trade association, union affiliation or activities, health, genetics, biometrics, sexual orientation or practices, criminal records, criminal administrative proceedings or sanctions.
We place pixel tags and web beacons in our emails to measure the effectiveness of our email campaigns by identifying the individuals who open or act upon an email message, when an email message is opened, how many times an email message is forwarded, the type of software, device, operating system and browser used to deliver the email and any URL accessed through our email message.
To measure site activity, provide a better user experience, and tailor our marketing communications, we or our service providers or companies we do business with may compile information from the cookies, pixel tags, web beacons or other technologies on our websites. This information may be combined with other information collected online or offline about you, including data provided by third party sources, and may be used or shared for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement. We may also allow third party advertising and personalization companies to use this information to develop personalized content and appropriate advertising based on your visits over time on GM web sites and non-GM web sites. This information may also be used to evaluate our online advertising campaigns or to tailor promotions and other marketing messages to you across your devices.
We do not implement any measures to honour “do not track” signals from a website browser.
You may choose to decline or delete some or all of the cookies that we use on our websites; however, doing so may impair the functionality of our websites. Please refer your web browser’s settings or help features to learn more about cookies and other technologies and how to manage their use. If you elect to refuse or delete cookies, you will need to repeat this process if you use another computer or device or change web browsers.
GM adheres to the Digital Advertising Alliance's Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising (www.AboutAds.info). If you do not wish to receive personalized advertising or content from us while visiting GM web sites, you may click on the AdChoices icon and/or link located at the bottom of the web site page or the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Opt-Out page, where applicable. If you do not wish to receive personalized advertising or content from us on non-GM websites, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Opt-Out page or click on the AboutAds icon on a GM advertisement and follow the instructions on how to opt out. Opting out of relevant advertising will not opt you out of all advertising, but rather only those advertisements that are personalized to your interests by GM or its agents or representatives.
Our mobile applications
If you send us an application for a job or resume, we will use this information to assess your application and may disclose this information to our related companies (both in New Zealand and Australia and overseas) and contracted service providers for purposes such as aptitude, psychological and medical testing and human resources management activities. As part of the application process, you will be asked for your specific consent for us to obtain information about your pre-employment medical examination (including drug and alcohol testing) and psychological and aptitude testing and the use and disclosure of the results of those tests. We may also collect your personal information from third parties (such as your referees).
A refusal to provide any of this information, or to consent to its disclosure to us or to allow us to provide this information to the parties described above, may affect the success of your application.
We may also ask you whether you agree to your personal information being provided to our related companies and affiliates overseas for other positions relevant to your qualifications and experience that may arise. For example, our operations in:
- Australia and New Zealand;
- Latin America
- Africa and Middle East;
- North America; and
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
The information GM collects about you, your vehicle, or your connected devices may be used:
- to provide products and services, programs, and maintain customer relationships (including third party services, such as Holden, GMSV or Cadillac Roadside Assistance, which is provided by contractors) or information about our products and services;
- to improve the quality, safety, and security of our products and services
- to administer your account(s) and process your payments for products and services
- to operate our websites and applications, including online registration processes
- to facilitate and support GM dealer and supplier diversity programs and GM grant programs
- to autofill data fields on our websites to improve your online experience
- to develop new products and services, including connected, autonomous and car-sharing products and services
- to provide customer and vehicle support and service (such as recall information)
- for warranty administration and validation
- to provide information and product updates
- to evaluate vehicle performance and safety
- for research, evaluation of use, and troubleshooting purposes
- to verify eligibility for vehicle purchase or incentive programs
- to verify eligibility for GM card and to provide GM card account management services
- for marketing and analytics purposes
- to support the electronic signature and delivery process between you and your dealer
- to customize and improve communication content
- to evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, acquisition, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets
- to comply with legal, regulatory or contractual requirements
- to protect our rights, or to detect, investigate and prevent fraud or other illegal activity
WHEN WILL WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may share your personal information in the following instances:
- As permitted or required by law, such as in conjunction with a subpoena, government inquiry, litigation, dispute resolution or similar legal process;
- When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary or desirable to protect our rights or interests, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate or protect against fraud or respond to a law enforcement request;
- To address customer complaints about their vehicles or parts;
- With our service providers who work on our behalf and who do not have an independent right to use the information to which they have access or that we disclose to them;
- with companies we enter into business or marketing arrangements with;
- With third parties for research and development purposes (such as university research institutes for improving highway safety, etc);
- In connection with the sale, transfer or financing of a significant part of a GM business or its assets, including any such activities associated with a bankruptcy proceeding; and
- Within GM, with our GM controlled subsidiaries and affiliates, with dealers, authorised service outlets and with licensees.
Apart from the disclosures listed above, GM will not share information about you or your vehicle with other third parties for their independent use without your prior consent.
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
When we, or our controlled subsidiaries and affiliates receive your personal information, we comply with applicable legal requirements providing adequate protection for the transfer of personal information to countries outside Australia and New Zealand. GM acts as “data processors” for its GM controlled subsidiaries and affiliates by providing data hosting, maintenance, support, and troubleshooting of services, as well as other redundant back office support.
Where relevant, we store your information in the United States, the European Economic Area (EEA), and other locations where we or our service providers maintain servers. With respect to disclosures of your personal information outside Australia and New Zealand, we take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the applicable Australian and New Zealand privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
In addition, anonymized and aggregated data from you is shared with other GM entities abroad to evaluate or research the safety, quality, usage, and functionality of vehicles and services, customers with vehicle support and services and to ensure accurate customer records and maintain customer relationships.
Information also is shared with our related companies overseas in order to contact customers about their vehicle or the services, or for marketing purposes, but only if the individual has opted in to receive marketing information.
HOW WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SAFE
We maintain reasonable and adequate technical, administrative, and physical security and confidentiality measures designed to help protect your information from unauthorised access or acquisition. We also require by contract (other than in an emergency situations) that third party services providers acting on our behalf or with whom we share your information also undertake to provide such security and confidentiality measures in accordance with industry standards.
DEALERS/AUTHORISED SERVICE OUTLETS/CERTIFIED SERVICE PARTNERS
We may collect information about dealer, authorised service outlet or certified service partner staff directly from those staff or from dealers or authorised service outlet directly. We may collect information about staff of our suppliers directly from those staff or from other staff of those suppliers. The information we collect about dealer or supplier staff may include their name, position, contact details and training records.
GM uses and discloses information collected about employees to support and maintain the employment relationship, including to: maintain compensation and benefit programs; manage leave; monitor employee performance; administer any applicable collective bargaining agreement; promote personnel and public safety; perform data analytics, reporting, and benchmarking to improve business operations, the employee experience, to inform our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategies; investigate potential violations of law or GM policies and support our efforts to identify fraud, waste, or abuse in programs we offer; and for other purposes consistent with this Privacy Statement. We may disclose personal information held in our employment records for different purposes including: to our related companies and to service providers (such as information technology service providers, payroll service providers, recruitment service providers, third parties that provide services in relation to our internal feedback and reporting programs i.e. Awareline program, and service providers who assist GM with "onboarding" new staff) so that they can provide the services that GM has contracted to them to perform.
- personal information collected about current and former employees which is not directly related to their employment;
- personal information collected about current and former employees which is used for purposes not directly related to their employment;
- independent contractors;
- secondees into GM who remain employees of the seconding client or firm;
- voluntary work experience students; or
- job applicants.
However, GM recognises that employee records should nevertheless be handled carefully, and GM will comply with any obligations that may apply to employee personal information under other applicable laws.
GM employees may seek to access, update or correct the personal information which GM holds about them using Workday or by contacting their Human Resources Manager. Such requests will be assessed on a case by case basis.
CONTACT US / MAKING AN INFORMATION REQUEST OR COMPLAINT
We will strive to ensure that information about you is accurate when we collect or use it. Subject to some exceptions under privacy laws, we will, on your request, give you a copy of the personal information we hold about you and correct it if it is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date. We note that this process does not cover requests for information which is not personal information. If we do not grant you access to your personal information, we will tell you why. If you request corrections to your personal information and GM agrees with your request, the corrections will be made as soon as practicable. If GM does not agree to your request for correction, it will notify you of the reasons it does not agree and will note your request on the records it holds about you.
If you have concerns or questions regarding our privacy practices, or to update your contact information, or to make a personal information access or correction request, or to unsubscribe from marketing communications from GM, please email or call one of the following Customer Assistance Centres that is specific to your vehicle:
Cadillac New Zealand
Cadillac New Zealand
GMSV New Zealand
GMSV New Zealand
Holden New Zealand
Holden New Zealand
Isuzu New Zealand
Isuzu New Zealand
If you believe that your privacy has been interfered with please contact us using the contact information above providing details of the incident so that we can investigate it. We request that complaints about breaches of privacy be made in writing, so we can be sure about the details of the complaint. We will treat your requests or complaints confidentially. Our representative will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved. We will aim to ensure that your complaint is resolved in a timely and appropriate manner.
If you remain dissatisfied, you may also complain to the OAIC (www.oaic.gov.au) in Australia or the Office of the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner in New Zealand (www.privacy.org.nz).
CURRENCY OF THIS DOCUMENT